Sic Bo is an intriguing casino dice game which involves betting on possible combinations of three dice spun by the dealer. It is based on an ancient Chinese dice game and is widely played in many Southeast Asian countries.
The game of Sic Bo (Mandarin for Small/Big) largely draws its popularity from the range of payouts offered – from even money to 150:1. Players place their wagers on a variety of dice combinations, after which the dealer shakes and spins 3 dice (online casinos use virtual graphics to simulate the dice being spun). Winning wagers are paid out according to fixed odds.
There are different combinations of bets:
- Triple - Betting that all three dice will be show the same specific number (for example, 1,1,1). Pays 150:1.
- Any Triple - Betting that all three dice will show the same number (111, 222, 333, 444, 555 or 666). Pays 24:1.
- Double - Betting that two of the three dice will show the same number. Pays 8:1.
- Big/Small - Big and Small are two different bets. If you bet Big, you are betting that the three dice will equal a total of 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 (excluding Triples). If you bet Small, you are betting that the three dice will equal a total of 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 (excluding Triples). Big/Small winning bets pay even money (2:1).
- Dice Totals - On the layout, there is an area with the numbers 4-17 where you can place bets on the total sum of the three dice. The payouts for these bets are as follows:
- 4 and 17 pay 50:1
- 5 and 16 pay 30:1
- 6 and 15 pay 18:1
- 7 and 14 pay 12:1
- 8 and 13 pay 8:1
- 9, 10, 11 and 12 pay 6:1
- Two-Dice Combinations - Betting on two different numbers appearing on at least two of the three dice. Pays 5:1.
- Single Number - Betting that a single number (1-6) appears on at least one of the three dice. Payouts are as follows:
- If chosen number appears on one of the three dice, winning bets are paid at even money (1:1).
- If chosen number appears on two of the three dice, winning bets are paid 2:1.
- If chosen number appears on three of the three dice, winning bets are paid 3:1.
Sic Bo Strategy
As Sic Bo (Small/Big) is a dice game where players bet on the outcome of throwing three dice, it is quite difficult to come up with a winning strategy as one cannot actually influence the result. Therefore the best way to come out victorious is to follow the odds. Even money bets will not bring you a fortune for a reason – they signify the combinations which are most likely to happen. Although small winnings do not sound very fun, they increase your chances of a positive outcome in a long run. In order to increase your bankroll faster you may also make a few 5:1 to 8:1 bets which do not serve very high odds, but are still rather likely.